Thursday, January 15, 2009

Holding down the Homefront

Last weekend my Mom and Dad went to Washington for my nephew James' baptism and birthday, so I held down the homefront while they were gone for 4 days. As they suggested the idea my response was "no problem, sure thing...only 4 days?" My feelings were slightly different on Sunday night waiting for their return. Wow, my stamina isn't what it used to be.
A few highlights from the weekend. I want to record the first one for my own journaling purposes because we left this part out of the report, and I think I am safe because Mom and Dad rarely read my blog.
So Thursday night, first night without the parents, I am fixing chicken broccoli casserole (mega sized) and doing my best to handle all the nerve firings in my brain about each person, thing, time, medication, that needs to happen that evening, and picking up the phone to hear about Rosey's date last night, when Doug is coming to cover, what is the recipe from Jules, and my friend Beth borrowing my Kinesiology book. All the while baking cookies with Mei. We finish the cookies and Mei and Bob follow me downstairs to stick them in the oven. I look at the clock on my phone and decide that I will remember to come down in 5 minutes to pull out the cookies from the ambiguous oven. So I race upstairs to finish the casserole. A couple of minutes later I go downstairs and Mei informs me "Bobby gone". What!!!! Where did he go? "Idn know" as she shrugs her shoulders. I frantically look in every room downstairs calling his name. The only trace I have of him is Peter's curtain that is moved 6 inches to the right uncovering a bit of the window. I recruited Peter to go out and look while I finish the casserole. I begin working on the casserole again and went downstairs for something. AH! The Cookies?? I rush to oven to pull out probably the best cookies I have ever made... don't ak me how it all worked out, thank you Heavenly Father.
So Pete comes back in unsuccessful. In his teenage tone "somebody will call and let us know where he is"
"Pete!! We can't just wait for that?"
"Well, what do you want me to do?"
In my mind I know that Pete is right from his vast experience of this same predicament, but I can't just give up. Somehow my neurotic reaction makes me feel that we are getting somewhere.
So I finish the casserole and stick it in the oven and head out to walk around the block. Pete calls to give me the address of where Bob is. I hop in my car and head out to the next block and halfway down the street. I pass a cop car on the way and knock on the door of the house.
The friendly older gentleman who almost died of a heart attack from Bob's intrusion was really sweet about letting Bob explore his house and handing him over to the police when they came. His granddaughter recognized him and called him "Bobby". The gentleman took Bobby to his daughters house up the driveway from him and his daughter Brenda recognized him from church. She supposed that he was in the 6th ward and called the Jensen's in our ward who confirmed that Bobby belonged to us. So they told the policeman and he responded "yep, we've identified him" (yeah, sure you have) and Bobby was excorted home. I arrived home and asked Pete what the guy said when he dropped Bob off.
"Nothin'"
"What? No, what did he say?"
"Nothing"
"Pete, what words did he speak when he came to the door?"
"He just asked if this was his house and dropped him off"
Oh Gosh!
Everyone home safe and sound!
We just like to keep our guardian angels busy around here!

1 comment:

Jules said...

So funny, Mere! Not funny in the moment, though, eh?