Thursday, January 15, 2009

Swimming with two Downs

I got to tell you about my swimming trip with Bob and Mei. We went to the Provo Rec Center on Saturday for an outing while the parents were away. (Didn't even think of using this time to do homework) So off we go.
We get in the water and I find that Mei is too small for the deep and Bob is too big for the shallow and there is only one of me. Se we entertained Mei in the shallow part for a while and I went into the barely safe enough to jump and let Bob jump in a couple of times, giving Mei the thumbs up with eye contact in between each jump. Then Mei came on my back and we went to the deep part and let Bob swim around. He swam almost the whole length of the pool dogpaddling just out of reach of my hands for support. When he finally coughed on some water signaling that he was done I lifted him up and held him the rest of the way. I could feel the burning eyes of the life guard wondering what I was trying to do with this kid. So we ventured back to the shallow end and sat down in a circle. Bob immediately stood up with crossed legs and pointed directly at his groin. Well, Thank you for the signal!! So we hopped out and Mei kept playing in an 'i'm not listening' manner before I chased her down and pulled her out of the pool all the while praying that Bob can hold it til we make it to the toilet.
Bob and I rush in and find a stall where I wait for a little bit and anxiously tell him to hurry up! I go quickly to look for Mei and she is standing close to the door, FREEZING, but waiting so patiently. Oh thank you. So I go back and encourage Bob and carefully handling his swimsuit so it doesn't lose the string that I cut short the last time we went swimming.
I run back to thank Mei for waiting so patiently and she is gone! I go around the corner to peep into the pool and see her eye me directly and give me a thumbs up. Okay, she is safe for a moment. (Heavenly Father please keep her safe). Back to Bob. I finally decide that it is too cold to wait any longer and encourage him to put his suit back on. As I go to tie it, the strings are both gone! Well, that is probably the end of our trip... lets go get Mei. I scanned the shallow end and panicked when I didn't see her. She was inching her way along the side of the deep deep end, the end where the diving board is. Yeah, Thank You Heavenly Father for keeping her safe!
He is so good to us!

3 comments:

Rosey said...

Oh my I am laughing so hard right now... I read it to Grandpa and he gave me one of his "courtesy laughs" and that made it funnier for some reason! Oh Mere you are so great! love you!

Jules said...

Mere going down with the Down's...your blog doubles as Bobby's too--great to hear about all your adventures together! You make me giggle!

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

What a great gift you gave Mom and Dad this weekend. You have such a good attitude about near disaster! :)