Sunday, July 19, 2009

Recuperation week

Wow, two weeks in a row!
This week was a beautiful recuperation week from the reunion hoopla. Sad to say goodbye to family members, but great to reacquaint with my bed, work, and ward. Last Sunday I spent the day with Rosey up in Salt Lake and visited my Grandpa Conway who was in the hospital. We had a great chat with him and I was amazed to see how sharp his mind still is. He had a "to do" list for Rose to take care of his garden and other odds and ends. We read Elder Ballard's talk from this last conference to Grandpa and had a great laugh over the initial story Elder ballard told of the Edsel car. We asked Grandpa what an Edsel was before we read the next line of the talk "if you don't know what an Edsel is, ask your Grandpa." Roger and Melanie came by and we had a great chat with them. As we were leaving and discussing Grandpa's move to a rehab place, Roger mentioned that Uncle Alan was put in as a Bishop that day, so we wouldn't be able to come up until Monday. Oh great! He will be a great bishop, were my thoughts.
Sunday night I called my Relief Society President about visiting teaching stuff and she told me about the change in our Bishopric that day, then she said " I think it's your uncle" WHAT!!! Sure enough, Uncle Alan was my new singles ward Bishop! I was so excited, but also very sad to have missed the meeting and the chance to thank and say farewell to my previous bishopric whom I loved very much!
Monday morning I took Ren and his family to the airport with a hopeful thought of seeing them in January for the OSU MFA audition. Monday afternoon I had lunch at Guru's with Angie, one of my dance professors from UVU and my very dear friend. The bit about our conversation that stood out to me was about relationships and the temple covenants we make as latter-day saints. I felt like I was able to shed truthful light on the importance of those covenants within the broad plan to be like God.
Tuesday I spent the day with Taylor Hall wile his family was at Lagoon for the company party. We met my family at the zoo for the afternoon and I got in free for pushing Taylor in his wheelchair! It was so fun to be there with all the kiddos and extend the family time a bit longer!
Wednesday was my serious recuperation day with Yoga in the morning followed by a 3 hour nap, mmmm yummy! That night I helped Kim and David make their collages from the reunion. I was mostly willing, but we had a great time! It was so fun to go through magazines and explain the pictures and words for them and let them decide what to include. They got a repetitive kick out of the words created when we would cut out a letter to use it for the collage. Words like "ideo" and "reative"
Thursday I went to the afternoon water aerobics class at the Provo Rec Center. I am in to swimming laps and water aerobics these days as a fantastic means of gentle exercise to keep my body in shape in the off dancing season, I have reconnected to the fish within! After water aerobics I took Joe and Stu's kids to the Bean Museum. We ran into Matt and April in the play room area, so fun! It was so fun to watch the kids get excited about the animals and have an outing with them. The reunion was great, but it is outings such as these when I really get to bond with the kids. I also appreciated this outing as another drop of oil in my motherhood lamp! I will love and enjoy motherhood more than I think I will.
Friday I spent the day with the Halls. I took Taylor swimming at the AF pool and just had a ball with him. He noticeably perks up when he gets in the water. It was so fun! I also ran into my friend Kari Jo from school and it was really refreshing to see her and reconnect to that part of my life again. Friday night I went up to the Tabernacle Choir Pioneer Celebration Concert with my Aunt Annette and Uncle Gordon, cousin Beth and brother Aaron. It was fantastic!! It was celebrating 80 years of the Music and Spoken Word broadcast, so it was filled with the history of the broadcast, pioneer stories, and permeated with personal testimonies and experiences of how this boradcast has made a difference in the lives of many. My favorite part was the video footage of children playing while the choir sang "I feel my Savior's Love". It reaffirmed my testimony of how central the Family is to the plan of Happiness.
Saturday I spent the morning visiting with Jessy and Kyle who were in my ward a couple of years ago. Jessy and I were roommates and tehy are headed off to medical school tomorrow. It was really great to visit and catch up before saying goodbye. We visited for longer than I anticipated and I could have stayed there all day, but I was off to a bridal shower for Alyssa Merrell. Alyssa and I were in the same ward during our YW years. It is amazing how time flies by, but occasionally stops to let you take in the view. I saw people I haven't seen for years, now with babies, boyfriends, and big bucks. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever catch up, until I remember that I am very happy where I am at and know that I am in my perfect journey. Saturday night I tended Robyn and Taylor while the rest went to West Side Story. I love hanging out with Robyn, I felt like I followed her around like a little sister excited to play whatever games she picked out.
I got home last night excited to take a luxurious shower and prepare my lesson when Rose called about 12:15 to tell me about her great dating weekend. Nothing is better than midnight chats with sisters, especially when it involves boys:)
Today at Church I got to hug my aunt and uncle and officially meet my new bishopric. They all carry the mantle and seem perfect for their callings.
Today was my day to teach Sunday School and I learn something new everytime I teach. Today it was: capturing the essence of the lesson and focusing on one main principle is more effective than covering miles of ground.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Meredith, I think you are awesome!

Jules said...

It's good to connect with you via your blog--thanks for sharing!