Sunday, February 13, 2011

preparing for motherhood

The first part of this week was tying up loose ends around the condo, making DI runs, returning stuff, etc before Friday when I will be tending the Halls for 2 weeks. Heather and Jeremy are going on a 2 week European Cruise and I am tending their kids, I know, so fun for me! I actually am very excited, but it means that I have a window of time this week to get things done.
Monday my goal was to find a headboard because I want to put my bed on a diagonal and I love reading or journaling in bed and would rather not use my core to sit up straight-I need a head board. I went to DI, Target, Wal-Mart, Bed Bath and Beyond with no luck. Finally Bonnie suggested that I just search online-simplify, Brill! I really didn't want to pay $100 for a head board, 1 because I just don't and 2 because I just had a chat about the budge with Carl and feel slightly accountable to him for being wise with my money :) Thanks Carl. Within 10 minutes I found a black faux suede headboard for $45. Done. I love it. And I love that my goal for Monday was accomplished. To celebrate, Bonnie and I went out for a 'Never on Sundae' treat at Pizza Factory, it was REALLY good (we had the oatmeal cookie on the bottom) and I love hanging out with Bonnie, she is a smash hit!
Tuesday
Wednesday during lunch Bonnie and I went to DSW to find some classic black pumps for me because mine are DEAD! My black wedges from Victoria's Secret, my all time favorite shoes are officially done. So sad. So we went to DSW to find some for me to wear on Thursday because an interviewee that I have a slight crush on was starting working at One on One (its on the shelf because of work, but I still intended to look hott). We were successful-I should have posted a pic. I will later. I found some classic black pumps with a mostly rounded toe AND I found a great set of black pumps with a leather bow accent with pointed toes-totally great. However, I found the clearance room right as we are leaving. This is the difference between me and Bonnie. As we are leaving I comment "Bonnie, I never pay full price for anything, I always shop clearance. Bonnie: "I never shop clearance" YIKES! Well, I will post pics because the shoes are totally great. Borderline Brill if only the price was right-not so much. Wednesday night Bonnie and I did condo stuff. She painted her bathroom-fuschia! It turned out great- you all will have to come see. Housewarming party, you're invited!
Thursday I wore my black skinnies with my fuschia top and black blazer with the black pumps with the bow and my hair down and straightened-very metropolitan and totally great! Rose, you would have loved it. And I did talk with the guy that day, and shoot, he is a lot cuter than I remember from when he interviewed. On the shelf.
Thursday night I was super productive, I dropped off Rosey's valentine and t-shirts with mom and unloaded boxes for Riss, I did a DI run to return the head board I got that was actually a full size not a twin, returned my curtains at JC Penney and switched them for the cinch kind instead of grommets, and cleaned out my car-go Mere. I grabbed a quick grilled chkn sandwich from Wendy's and arrived at Beth's place totally on time! Bonnie, I am getting much better at time management-thank you SO much! Beth and I went to see Cinderella at BYU-the ballet. I guess before the performance, they did a 'meet the princess' party, so there were so many little girls all dressed up like princesses, so excited to meet the dancers 'fairies' and Cinderella and the Prince. A dream come true for the little girls and for the ballet program, hello smart marketing! I heard that all the shows were sold out, way to go BYU dance! By this time, my feet were dying (new shoes) but the performance was really well done. Live orchestra, great soloists, the prince-not so much, but the step sisters were hysterical-very well done and not over the top. Shoot. I kept imagining me and Rose in those roles-that would be a dream-oh wait, we act like that anyway stage or no stage.
Friday-another great outfit. brown corduroy pencil skirt, white shirt, Bonnie's red blazer/jacket and her 'versatile' scarf (this scarf is incredible, it goes with everything!). I had a meeting with my boss and just wanted to wear the outfit, so... and I might see the crush... shoot.
Anyway, Friday morning, Thanks to Heavenly Father who woke me up at 5:30 for enough time to finish packing and get over to Halls by 6:30. I got home so late Thursday that I threw some clothes together and other toiletries and just hoped I would wake up Friday with enough time to finish. He is watching out for me.
I got over to Halls and did the morning routine until I left for work at 7:30. Heather is all prepared with 2 binders of information-1 for medical emergencies and 1 with each day of instructions written out. This woman is incredible, she remembered everything, so I am set to go.
Friday at lunch Bonnie, Swathi, Deepthi and I went to pick out paint swatches for baby Sid's room. Deepthi is having a baby boy (Sid) at the end of Feb and asked us girls (mostly Bonnie because she is the pro) to paint the baby room. Yes, of course. So she brought her bed set and we went to Home Depot and got some different paint swatches of color combinations to mull over. This project will be so fun, can't wait!
Friday night was pizza and movie night-the regular routine with the Halls. I was so tired that night, I looked at the pile of dishes and said good night to them. The best part about tending the Halls is that I get on their 'early to bed, early to rise' schedule, wow, this really is a good schedule for sleeping.
Saturday morning we went to my dance rehearsal. Our show is coming up in April and we only have Saturdays, so our time together is very precious-hence carting 4 kids to a 3.5 hour rehearsal, I know it was brutal for them. But they were GREAT!! Holy cow, I was ready to take them to Disneyland for the day after that. Instead we decided to go see Voyage of the Dawn Treader and go to Costa Vida afterwards for dinner. It was a fun evening and they let Taylor and myself in free for the movie! I was a bit worried that it was going to be too much for Robyn, but she happened to bring a 'Littlest Pet Shop' mask that she made at a birthday party earlier that day and anytime a scary part came, she just put up her mask. It was pretty funny!
Great movie! AND it has the part with the dragon and Aslan scratching away the scales and transforming Eustus back into a boy. That is my favorite analogy for repentance-ever! I had heard that part of the story and it stuck with me, but I never connected it to C.S. Lewis or the Chronicles of Narnia. I am inspired to read that book now.
Sunday-today, was just a chill day. It was great to go to the Halls ward because I know the neighbors and enough people to feel very comfortable. During the Sacrament I asked Robyn what her favorite story of Jesus was. "When Jesus comes alive!" was her response, me: "why do you like that one?" Robyn: "I just like when Jesus comes alive, that's all!" me: "okay. end of discussion." Love that girl.
Sunday afternoon Spencer and I had a power struggle with the nerf gun, but we recovered. The kids made their valentine's, this was so funny. Spencer waited around for people to help him because 'he had the most to make', Allison made hers quickly and then assisted Robyn and everyone else-including me with Taylor's. It was great.
Sunday dinner and then we played Ticket to Ride-my favorite game these days. I gave it to the Halls for Christmas and I looked forward to playing it with them. It was a lot of fun and kind of smoothed over the grumpy Spencer which we were all glad about.
Here we go for week number 1 with the Halls. My prayer for these next few weeks is protection and health. My goal is to maintain the regular routine and everyone stays healthy, happy, and safe. Perfect.