Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sickie Week

I was a sickie this week, so this will be short and sweet so I can take my Chloraseptic and Coricidin and go to bed. Bonnie was sick on Monday and then I felt a bug on Tuesday that just kept growing. Friday, I managed to shuffle across the hall to the bathroom and realize that going to work was not going to happen. Shoot. So I called my good friend Ashley to run the 1on1 Chili Cook-off and let my boss know that I was down and out and went back to sleep.
I don't remember the last time I was this sick. Maybe during my Youth Artists days-jr.high years when I couldn't go to my teacher's reception because I couldn't get out of bed... wow, it's been a while.
However, getting sick is kind of a game for me because it causes me to ask "why am I sick?" most of the time there is some other emotional or mental issue festering inside that I just need to work out. This time I was at a loss.
Blake? Okay, update on the guy scene-briefly. Blake, guy in our ward in terested in Bonnie. She was not, and we both thought that Blake and I were a better fit. He came over on Thursday for dinner and Groundhog Day and we just ended up chatting. A little anxious about it because of expectations, but conclusion is that we are all better off as good friends. Perfect!
Anyway, I couldn't figure out why I was so sick, so I consulted Louise. Louise Hay wrote 'You Can Heal Your Life', my all time favorite book on... how to heal your life. It's based on the belief that the physical is a manifestation of the emotional and mental, so it provides questions and avenues to answer questions such as 'why am I sick?' Love it.
So I looked up the throat and respiratory ailments. The throat is all about change.
BINGO!
Oh, thank you Louise. My life is just changing and my body is catching up. Okay, I have a little more patience to let it run its course.

The other thing I was involved with this week, other than simplifying and sick-ing :), was reading "Tribal Leadership", a fantastic book. Highly recommend it for anyone who works in any sort of business or organization. It is based on research about how organizations operate in one of 5 stages and how to move the organization to stage 5 where the most productivity and efficiency and happiness exists. Super interesting. The 5 stages are (these are the pervading mentality of the group):
Stage 1: "Life Sucks"
Stage 2: "My Life Sucks"
Stage 3: "I'm Great! (and you're not)"
Stage 4: "We're Great!"
Stage 5: "Life is Great!"

The goal is to operate individually and collectively at Stage 5.
Hmm...I found some striking Stage 3 mentality in my work and personal life that was alarming, so I am purging that right now. The rest I am still digesting and putting it in to the context of my life, but super fascinating especially in a family context or in dance.

2 comments:

Jules said...

So sorry you've been a sickie! Hope you are doing better--I'm sending you warm chicken noodle soup via telepathy--isn't it nice and soothing? :) Love you!

Meredith said...

ha ha. it's what got me through. Thanks so much Jules!