Monday, September 8, 2008

Foreign Fun

August 11, 2008
This morning I connected with my family through skype. It felt so good to hear familiar voices speaking english. It was a typical Sunday evening gathering at home, and hearing the sounds was almost as good as being there. It filled me up and I was ready to go again for another week in Beijing.
When I was through chatting, I headed out the door to exercise. MWF were declared exercise days and I typically used a patch of hard wood floor behind the chair in the living room as my exercise space, but today I went out to use the machines outside. Periodically on the side of the street is a cluster of exercise equipment. I saw many older men and women stop and stretch on their way home from the grocery store. My favorite were the little round Chinamen men moving through their routines... reaching for their toes and swiveling their waist around to stay fit. Some of the machines couldn't quite accomodate the length of my legs, so it was equally entertainment as it was exercise.
After cleaning up for the day, Curt and I set out to find the ticket office for the upcoming shows I wanted to see. As we walked around Beijing, Curt pointed out apartments he looked at and some of the fun encounters he had with people along the way. Again, it was a gem of a moment with my brother trying to keep up with his lengthy stride like I used to do when our paths would cross on the way home from school.
That night I went swing dancing again at the "CD Jazz Cafe"

When I was having this photo taken, a random guy coming out of the cafe jumped in the photo to pose.

No comments: