Monday, September 29, 2008

Wall of Wonder

August 15, 2008
Today was our big adventure day to the Great Wall. We spent the morning packing up the kiddos and covering our bases with snacks and hats. Our taxi driver was especially nice and the taxi seatbelts were pulled through the seat covers for easy access which was a total bonus. We decided to go to the Badaling part of the wall that included a gondola ride to and from the wall. "aw, get yourself a gondola..."The wall was incredible, it extends as far as the eye can see and it is truly magnificent.
My moment had come, it was time to do the other thing I came to China to do-- Dance on the Great Wall! People stopped to watch and applauded the performance. It was crowded with people, so I just created my own clearing of space to move. I pretended not to see the policeman that was standing behind watching. On our way back down I thought of Mom as I passed all of the darling chinese children, especially the little boy potty training with newspaper.

For Friday night fun, we decided to treat ourselves to Beijing Roast Duck! A delicious experience. It is a good thing Curt was there to instruct us in eating Beijing Duck 101. It is a delicate process of combining slices of duck with sauce and assorted vegetables and rolling it all up in a skin, yummy!

Tonight it was my treat to tend the kiddos while Curt and Mand had a night out with just them. Nell and I watched Aristocats and enjoyed the nightly routine together with Hugh. It was after Nell was peacefully tucked in and I was bouncing Hugh to sleep when the crisis broke: the knotted string silky was lost! In Ell's accounting of all her sleepy time friends, she was disrupted to find the knotted string of silky material gone. Despite my efforts, it was a sad time. Luckily Curt and Mand saved the day. They walked in the door the very moment I wished them home. Mand found the silky and all was well in apartment 17E.
After we shared the fun evenings we had, we played a very distracted game of up and down inbetween the victorious USA volleyball game.
And then it was bedtime, on my beloved blue sofa! In the mornings Nell would throw herself on the sofa and ask "who am I?"

1 comment:

Jon and Maeva said...

i love the pictures of you on the wall. you look like you are having so much fun