Sunday, January 9, 2011

pretty normal week, except what's normal?

The best part of moving out is...GAIN laundry detergent, hands down. Thanks to my sister in law Rachel for introducing us.
I was reflecting on what I was going to include in my blog for this week that seemed pretty uneventful, but as I looked closer, this week was actually full of good and exciting stuff. And I simplified. :) I am on track.
The first part of my week was focused on preparing for the presentation of our Give Back project for 1on1. Each of us was given $100 for Christmas to spend on someone else and the instructions were 'be creative' and report back.
Oh my, I got to read through all the reports and here is a synopsis of some of the most inspiring stories and experiences:
-Recordable storybooks for terminally ill children at UofU hospital
-Toys, books, games and spending a day at mental hospital with teens who couldn't leave for Christmas
-Filling up gas tanks for strangers on Christmas Eve
-Purchasing a wheelchair for the greeter with Cerebral Palsy at Home Depot
-Sending calling cards to hospital for severely wounded soldiers in Germany
-Christmas for women and children shelter, private showing of Tangled, magician, beauticians
-LOTS of anonymous assistance for ward and family members
The list goes on... it was amazing!
So for our January Powerstand (all employee meeting) we had people share 1 min summaries and had a drawing for gift cards and ipads.
Then we had breakfast burritos
(I found someone to do eggs in bulk! way to come through Magleby's Fresh)
Raspberry bread pudding from Kneaders
(you were right Stu, that IS one of the BEST things they serve),
and muffins from Provo Bakery
(yummiest bran muffins on the planet!)
That was the big whee for the week, and if felt extra big since I was sick. I woke up Tuesday and did my hair, when I was done, I was ready to go back to bed. It just about took everything out of me... just 2 days of feeling yucky, then I was on the mend.
Tuesday night the RS presidency came to meet us-great group of girls!
Wednesday night we went to meet with the Bishopric members, a 1on1 get to know you. I am scheduled to meet with a counselor this Wednesday again, Bonnie asked "whats your calling going to be?"...we'll see
and Thursday night I went to the first Tour de Donut meeting for 2011's event. It makes me laugh everytime still. 21 mile bike race done in 3 laps, eating donuts between each lap. I know. Anyway, I am part of the representation from 1on1 since we are sponsoring it again this year. It is always interesting to me to observe group dynamics and this one is particularly fascinating.
I put more of my room together this week, purged some more... and found a beautiful white print duvee cover for my bed. I am going white with colored pillows and throw. Still working on the bedskirt and curtains.
Oh my, Friday night I started going through my 3 boxes (shoebox size) of notes, cards, compliments, congrats letters, letters from Nola, high school notes from Wayne (ha!), etc.... It was heartwarming and unbelievable at the same time. I have some good memories to bring up at our next high school reunion. :) I found my itinerary and plane ticket from my marching band Hawaii trip in 2001. Yikes!! What am I supposed to do with all this stuff?
Bonnie's response: "Just keep what's most important and throw the rest away."
"But it's all important?"
No Mere. make some decisions. simplify.
ok.
I just have to thank my wonderful sisters. I went through all the notes I have received from them throughout the years from birthday cards, pillow notes, paper drawn floral bouquets from performances, good luck on auditions, congrats on pageants, christmas poems, etc. Wow!
a. I am loved
b. I have the best sisters in the world
I just felt grateful for the loving relationships we share that have continued across all the happenings in our lives-I love you!!
This is a long post, I know...and not any picures. Almost done.
Saturday I went to Impact's all grad training and it was about prosperity, money and wealth this year. Lots of great stuff and ideas about how to increase the ease of inflow/outflow. I am still processing through all of it, but one of the thngs i came away with was my own vision of what I want to do in my life relative to a career. I love the non-profit work and organizing funds and resources to support community and creative projects. So there is one more piece of the puzzle.
Sunday, my dear home teacher Graden called me. Home Teacher for life, I love it!
Life is Good!

2 comments:

Christina said...

Life IS good. And I definitely have a hard time parting with personal cards and the like. Reading them again after a long time is a really great experience, but do you keep a trunk full of notes? I don't know. Whether you keep the notes or not, we are sisters for life--forever actually--and I love you forever!

Meredith said...

awww... thanks Sis!