Sunday, June 12, 2011

San Diego or Bust!

This whole week I was counting down the days to my San Diego trip to see Rose, meet Mickey, and remind the beach how much she loves me. Bonnie and are spending our Memorial Day weekend out there and I couldn't be happier!

This week at work we had some visitors in from one of our sister companies in Michigan, Tony and team. Oh my, these 4 guys were like angels... they were incredible! They are the directors of training and development, so they came to visit One on One and give us some leadership strategies and insight. They were the most gracious, easy going, down to earth, real guys with every intention to assist us be better people...I was so impressed.

Anyway, so my head was swimming with all this information from them and it took me a while to set it on the shelf and presence myself in San Diego because I had all these ideas about my own personal growth and if you know me at all, you know that I could sit and digest information and think about my personal growth and development til the cows come home. So it was really good for me to totally switch gears, let the information mull over in my subconscious, and revisit it later with fresh eyes.

So I said my good-byes to them and headed off to catch our evening flight, so happy! Bonnie and I stopped at Zupas for dinner and then headed to the airport with plenty of time, yes I am traveling with Bonnie, we had plenty of time. :)
I am so happy to get to spend a whole weekend with her. She started dating Adam shortly after I moved in, so I miss my Bonnie and Mere time, not that I don't get any anymore, we do plenty of late night chatting... There is just more sharing going on here with Adam in the mix.
Which... I am happy to say that I like Adam. ALOT. It wouldn't work if I didn't...

Okay, so we arrive in San Diego and I see palm trees...ah... (sigh)... hooray, I am on vacation
PALM TREES=VACATION
We got settled quickly on Thursday in preparation for Friday....
DISNEYLAND!
My first time...well, I went years ago with Bobby's special needs class and I was a chaperone. We flew through the night, half the rides were closed, we wore these mustard yellow t-shirts and it was a horrendous experience... SO... with a fresh new start and no expectations we drove to the Happiest Place on Earth!! Best thing ever!
AND I went with the Disneyland Expert, aka: Rose. (she had everything planned out to a T. We didn't miss ANYTHING)

Brief recap...
  • 1st (and last) ride: Matterhorn (love)
  • Soarin' (LOVE)
  • Space Mountain (fav)
  • Splash Mountain (Front of the boat for sure! Rose and I reminisced about orange peels for bookmarks and elbowing Dad to stay awake while he read us Brer Rabbit stories...ah. the best days)
  • Small World (almost cried...actually did a little)
  • Indiana Jones (WOW-amazing work)
  • Talking time with Crush-love love... we sent birthday wishes to Stu from us and Crush
  • Animated Studios: I am most like Nala
  • Tower of Terror (with Bonnie...most hysterical ride ever with her, because she doesn't scream, she laughs. Oh my, funnest thing ever!
  • of course all the other rides...Mr. Toad, Peter Pan, etc...
And of course we had pineapple whip and a churro along the way and great sandwiches that Rose had so thoughtfully packed (she was the best hostess in the world-the best thing that has ever happened to me) AND saw all the shows...(Rose had these all timed and calculated so we could see everything-totally great!)
  • Billy Hill and the Hillbillies...hysterical!
  • Fantasmic-Mickey is my hero!
  • Fireworks behind the castle-Tinkerbell and Dumbo both fly over triumphantly, Yay!!
  • World of Color...WOW! AMAZING! totally awesome!
Dear Disneyland,
It was great to meet you, I am glad I now have an accurate impression of you after our first meeting when you were a bit out of commission. You are the best thing ever! Mickey is my hero and Walt is at the top of my list.
Thank you for making me the happiest today and for taking care of my sister Rose for this past year and a half, you were there for her when she needed a good friend she could count on!

I promise that I will come back and see you soon. I really want to come see you for Christmas when you are all decorated.
Love, Mere


Saturday we went to the temple, ran 6 miles down the boardwalk, drank in the salty sea air for a moment before we were off to clean up, dress up, and go out on the town!

We put on our skinnies and spanglies and stepped out as the three sexiest ladies in San Diego. We went to Buon Appetito for dinner. I got the pesto smothered Salmon... oh my! yum.
We walked around Little Italy, took some pics...okay, lots of pics. (which, I lost on my way home...technical difficulties on the download, so sad)
We stopped off at Extraordinary desserts, of course, before we were on our way home to do masks and manis/pedis and watch Ever After...total girl night. love it.
We devoured our desserts. My favorites were the neopolitan that Rose got, the chocolate mousse layered divine whatever it was, and the white chocolate mousse layered cake thing that I got.
MMM.

Sunday we went to church with Rose. She is doing amazing things in her calling right now. Many girls have come back to church, they trust her, she is their friend, their faith is getting stronger...she is incredible and it was even more amazing to see her in action.
Mom asked me what the best part of my trip was and I responded, "seeing Rose in such a great place in her life in all areas." She seriously is rockin' it in everything right now and it was so great to see. She is doing great things!
We finally got to chat about our lives and have a little sister bonding time on a little ride down to the beach and back on her cruisers. Second favorite part of the trip.
When we got back, we were on a mission to convert Bonnie to old movies, so we showed her Singin' in the Rain and she said that she liked it. A little. Hooray! It's a work in progress :)
Monday we did a 3 mile run before we packed up and went to the beach for the most glorious sunny day! We stopped at Broken Yolk Cafe for breakfast on the way. Oh my! I had the eggs benedict california style (with turkey and avocado)....my mouth is watering just thinking about them... best thing ever! I dreamt about that meal all day. First time having eggs benedict and it was fantastic!
We laid around on the beach for the rest of the day...heard that it was snowing in Utah. Life is rough when you're on the beach to get the news...
I read "The Millionaire Next Door", in preparation for the mighty wealth that is coming my way, I decided that I am going to be a wealthy philanthropist. But it says I have to budget and be frugal to get there. Shoot.
Our last thing was a stop at Yogurtland, a must for the visit. Red Velvet yogurt, hello! So good to meet you.
I bought a Cali hat on our way out...50% off! And Rose found a GREAT formal tea party hat. Yes, we are bringing back the Sunday hat.
We headed to the airport and said our good-byes and I wished I could just somehow miss my flight.
It was a dreamy weekend, everything was perfect! But the best thing was time with two of my favorite people in the whole world!

No comments: